Tuesday 7 January 2014

Week 1: Digital Footprints

Hi internet,

I am creating this course as part of my learning process for ADED1P32 at Brock University. In this course, I am hoping to develop the skills I need to create a positive digital footprint and use the resources available to me in a productive and positive manner to enhance my learning.

Source: http://www.digitalfamilysummit.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Digital-Footprint.png

The first week of this course has been quite an eye opener for me. Learning about positive digital footprints and netiquette truly shed light on a part of my light I haven't truly studied objectively. Obviously, as 21st century students and young people, we use online networking tools excessively, such as Twitter, Facebook Youtube, Linkedin, etc. Unfortunately, very few of us realize that every small action we do online can be traced. The irony is the fact people are so much more comfortable online posting and expressing whatever they think and feel (often negative, many of the things they would never say in 'real life'); however, every action that is done online can be tracked, unlike their actions in 'real life'. The following video, shown to me in this class, is truly an eye opener: 

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=79IYZVYIVLA 

Without a doubt, everything we do on the internet can be monitored and trace, and after learning about this, I have decided to truly commit myself to working towards building a positive digital footprint. It is very important that everything I do online reflects me in a positive manner, and that I am as serious about treating others the way I want to be treated online as I am in 'real life'. 

A digital footprint is every action we take online, every post, and everything we upload, as I have learned from this and several other videos I have viewed in this course. A positive digital footprint is just as important as having a positive footprint as we take steps every day of our lives by doing things that contribute to the world. A positive digital footprint is similar to having a positive social identity - we should be presenting our best selves, showcasing out talents while recognizing and respecting others, in a digital setting. 

In the past, I have made some mistakes and broken some of the core rules of netiquette, as presented in the following link: http://www.albion.com/netiquette/corerules.html. Netiquette is one of those things that they quickly go over in elementary school, but it's just so easy to forget about it because so many people on the Internet do not follow them! For example, as a massive fan of pop music and culture, I have joined pop music discussion websites and have created accounts in various online media outlets to comment on pop culture news and events. The culture in these online boards is quite toxic - people say things there that they would never say in 'real life'. Not only do commenters and board members often speak brutally of public figures, they also mistreat each other when others' comments aren't in line with their views. Rule 2 (adhering to the same standards online as you would in real life) is rarely followed, as I can confidently say that most of these folks would never speak so badly of anybody in public. There is a certain security that some individuals perceive when they are sitting behind their screen - they feel that they have a total sense of anonymity, when, as we have learned this week, it is not true (everything we do online can be traced!). Rule 5 (always make yourself look good online) is also rarely followed. People have a sense that they do not need to present their best selves on the Internet - while, in reality, they should be working just as hard to present their best selves online as they do in real life! Some of these negative, toxic online habits are definitely the norm in online pop culture discussion forums, and I have undoubtedly conformed to those norms in the past. However, given what I know now, I will be MUCH more conscious of anything I post anywhere online! Netiquette is an absolutely crucial part of creating a positive digital footprint. 

Ribbel (2011) calls our activity on the Internet 'digital citizenship'. I couldn't have labeled it better - we need to behave as harmoniously and as positively in digital settings as good citizens of the world as we do in 'real life'. Out digital footprint (as we learned from our online resources) is a result of our digital citizenship (from the textbook). A positive digital footprint is a result of positive digital citizenship. Our identity is defined as much by our actions in digital settings as it is by our actions in 'real life'. Ribbel (2001) states, "Digital citizenship does not stop at the classroom door. Digital technology has become part of every person's daily life, and it should be our goal that individuals will use technology appropriately in all settings…" It is very important that I am as good of a citizen in digital settings as I try to be in 'real life', so I will work towards using digital resources available to be in a constructive and positive manner. This is what my blog will be about - my journey towards that goal. 

In the future, based on my results from my digital driver's licence exam, I hope to learn more about the other elements of digital citizenship, including digital commerce, law, rights and responsibilities, and most importantly (as a psychology major interested in mental health) digital health and wellness. 

SOURCES: 
Ribble, M. (2011). Digital citizenship in schools. (2nd ed.). International Society for Technology in Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment