Wednesday 22 January 2014

My Experience with RSS Feeds

This week, I learned to use RSS Feeds, and the tool of my choice was Feedly. One of the sites were were instructed to subscribe to was the Brock Press website. One of the top articles that showed up on my Feedly page was called "Brock University a top choice with Ontario high school students" (Mayer, 2014). It interested me because when I applied to Brock, it was a school that nobody else had much interest in. As I read the article, however, it became clear to me that the title was slightly deceptive, as what was actually found this year was that Brock actually increased its market share of students who made it a top share, while its competitors lost market share. Nowhere in the article does it tell us exact numbers of applicants this year compared to other schools. Articles like these make Brock Press seem biased and unprofessional. It is clear that we need to keep in mind the sources where we get our information, as institutionally-based news websites (such as The Brock Press) will have articles that present information with large amounts of biases, even misinformation. Skepticism and critical analytical skills are a big part of being a successful learner in a digital context!

Source:
Mayer, T. (2014, Jan 22). Brock university a top choice with ontario high school students. Retrieved from http://www.brocku.ca/brock-news/?p=25987

No comments:

Post a Comment